How to make Lotion – DIY Body Lotion
Have you ever wondered how to make lotion?
My daughter gets terrible dry skin. Whether it is in the Summer or in the middle of Winter, we get tons of crazy dry patches. Regular body lotion just didn’t cut it and I didn’t like the idea of rubbing crazy medicated creams on her.
DIY Body Lotion
I finally made this DIY body lotion and it works perfectly. We use it every single day right after shower or bath time and the dry patches stopped popping up.
What you need for Natural Body Lotion:
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (I buy mine on Amazon or at Sam’s in bulk to save)
- 1/3 cup pure Shea butter
- 10 drops therapeutic grade lavender essential oil
- 8 oz mason jar (to store the DIY body lotion)
- 5 drops therapeutic grade chamomile essential oil (optional but I love it)
1. Place your Shea butter in the microwave for soften for about 30 seconds
2. Mix in your room temperature coconut oil (should be in a solid or soft state, not melted) with a hand or stand mixer for about 15 minutes until light and fluffy
3. Now mix in your essential oils. It will smell amazing.
4. Transfer to an 8oz mason jar.
Now I only made an 8 oz mason jar worth when I first made it. However, now that I love it I mix up huge batches of it. I will triple or quadruple it and pour it into 3 or 4 8 oz mason jars. That way I have several made up with just one mess. It takes no more effort to make several.
These also make amazing gift ideas! We have given them at Christmas time and we have given them as fun teacher gifts. Everyone loves how great it smells.
Now that you know how to make lotion easily, are you going to try it? I promise if we can do it, you can too! I think you will love this homemade body lotion once you start making it. I bet you will never buy store bought lotion again. Whether you have sensitive skin, or just want a good natural body lotion make sure you make this easy recipe.
More easy Homemade Beauty Products:
- Homemade Lip Balm
- DIY Face Moisturizer
- Homemade Hand Cream – the Best Body Lotion
- Homemade Liquid Hand Soap
- How to make foaming hand soap